domenica 24 febbraio 2008

Boycott Trend Micro

I've signed the petition to boycott Trend Micro, that has sued Barracuda Networks for a patent right issue based on the use of the latter of the Open-Source GPL Clam AV antivirus software.

I'd like to express my support to Barracuda Networks, that is exploiting a GPL product accordingly to its licence, and so in a regular way. I also would like to applaud Barracuda for informing the community about its legal problems, a thing that probably Trend Micro didn't think could happen.
I cannot believe that someone could be sued due to patent rights on open source and GPL code, and this is an example of the need for a stronger protection against patents (like GPLv3 does), as well as it represents a nightmare for the open source community.
Moreover, I cannot really see the point in scanning a file travelling into a network, especially when this is done with an open source product. And if there is really a patent right, who will protect us againt viruses? Patent right holders? That's sound ridiculous to me!






Nessun commento: